Governance - ANE Organization Structure
ANE activities are generally conducted by committees which come together to organize races, hold social events, and manage club programs and affairs.
The main club decision-making body is a group called the Leaders. The Leaders are responsible for the annual budget, approval of major funding commitments, and overall club direction.
Membership in the Leaders group consists of:
- The active club founders
- Those club members active in leadership roles in the club including: race directors, committee heads, program organizers, and those active in maintaining club operations
- Additional active club volunteers, selected by the other two categories of leaders, so as to ensure a representative, balanced Leaders group, particularly with respect to gender participation
Any club member can become a Leader by stepping forward and creating/leading club activities. When a member of the Leaders group is no longer active in their qualifying role, they will be considered to have left the Leaders group at the end of the year.
The Leaders will select an executive committee, annually, consisting of eight members from the Leaders group, who will make operational decisions for the club on a day-to-day basis. The executive has authority to approve expenditures of up to $2,000.
Policies and Precedents
ANE's only formal policy is our Code of Conduct and Ethics. Past practices which are expected to continue are also listed.
- Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Contributions to travel expenditures for individual club members to attend elite events of up to $1000. Such funding will be allocated after other sources of funds, such as from the NLAA, have been tapped. It is likely such a contribution would only be made once per individual.
- ANE regularly makes donations to local charities and to club members and other individuals with serious health or similar issues. Past practice is that the club will match funds raised to a value of $1000.
- ANE tops up the annual MUN cross-country scholarship award with $1000 based on proceeds from the Boston Pizza Flat Out 5k race.
- ANE will send flowers or a donation in lieu of flowers upon the death of an immediate family member of a club member.